Thursday, May 29, 2008

Broken wheel chair

Well were do I start? What a week it has been at Genesis.

Today was the end of a long journey, which started Tuesday this week. We have a 85 year old who frequents the centre and on Tuesday he walked from his home to Genesis. To put this in perspective it would take me 5 minutes to walk this distance. It would have taken him 30 to 45 minutes to walk this distance. He came to tell us that his motorised wheel chair had broken. I have never seen this guy so lost and so sad in the time he has come to the centre.

I don’t know if you understand what it is like to be with out your mode of transport for 4 days? But for him it was not just a mode of transport it was what his life revolved around. After looking at the wheel chair we decided it needed to be fixed. For 3 days he walked from home to genesis and after we shut we dropped him of home.

But, there is good news. Today we went to pick the wheel chair up, it had 4 new tires, new battery and charger, a new basket on the front and a cover to stop it from getting wet. When I drove it into Genesis he was so happy. His face had joy written all on it. All week he had not been able to do any shopping, the first thing he said to me was "thankyou very much" then he said " now I am of to buy some bananas". We thank the scooter shop for fixing his wheel chair.
We thank God that over this week he has kept this man safe.
We also thank God that his wheelchair is now fixed and working better then ever.
We also send out a special thanks to Perth Family Support centre, for helping with 50% of the cost involved for fixing the chair.

1 comment:

guess said...

Hi Steve,

You posted your thoughts on my blog a few days ago in connection to Mike. I don't wish to burst your bubble but you've not won another soul for God; I already believe in him.

If you'd checked my entire blog out you'd realised what is was really about.

Anyway I'm not here to argue...The reason for this post.

Organising to have that guys motor cart repaired and all the other things the Genesis Team has done is exactly what being a Christian is supposed to be about. Least in my eyes it is.

So Steve, from one of probably the most unlikely encounters I'd like to say Kudos to your and the Genesis Team for not only helping this guys out, but also for the selfless work your guys & girls do.

It's a pity there were not more REAL Christian like yourself around, I'm sure the world would be a much better place.

Cheers

Dave